A kitchen robot to solve your roti-making woes, Rotimatic by Zimplistic is quite the appliance to revolutionize your cooking experience.
I was two semesters smarter, and eight kilos heavier when I flew back to my parents’ in Mumbai for a break in 2014. More than me it was my mother who freaked out over the latter development, mainly because she is diabetic and well aware of the side effects of being overweight. I had to promise to swap pasta and bread with low-calorie whole-wheat rotis, knowing well I wouldn’t follow through because making rotis is a tedious job and I had a full-time management course, and a part-time job to balance. Four years later and with a schedule still as hectic, Rotimatic has brought back the goodness of fresh home-made rotis back into my regular diet.
Let’s talk about what makes this amazing innovation one of the best of our time!
What makes Rotimatic one of its kind?
Electronic roti-makers have been around for a while, best recognized by its compact size and heating paddles. When using these, a user has to mix and knead the dough to the desired consistency, divide the dough into smaller portions and place it at the specified position on the paddle and press it down. The labor saved is thus just the part of rolling the dough and roasting it. Compared to this, Rotimatic is an all different ballgame.
Using 15 sensors, 10 motors, and 300 moving parts, Rotimatic replicates all the steps of making a roti in the traditional procedure – from measuring the amount of ingredients to be added, to kneading the dough, separating it into smaller parts, rolling them into perfectly circular discs, and roasting the dough till a puffed golden-brown. User intervention stops at pouring the three ingredients – flour, water, and oil – into their respective compartments in the machine, and pressing a few buttons.
Key Features of Rotimatic
This automatic roti-maker is packed with sophisticated technological features, and thankfully we are familiar with most of them owing to our increasing dependence on cutting-edge gadgets. Let’s take a look at them in details below:
- AI and IoT-enabled – Although these terms sound like they belong in some sci-fi movies about genocidal robots, AI and IoT is already a big, and benign, part of our daily lives. It is what enables sharing data between connected devices to give better user experience of any application. Rotimatic can connect with Wi-Fi and sync with other smart devices, upgrade automatically, troubleshoot and undergo distance-diagnostics.
- Can be controlled using a remote device – This feature is an extension of the previous one. The Rotimatic app can be downloaded on your smartphone and you can control the appliance using it. The app also shares some of the best recipes that can be recreated using Rotimatic.
- Versatility of use – Rotimatic can make not only rotis, but puris, tortillas, and pizza base as well in under 90 seconds.
- Pretty, portable, and durable – Rotimatic measures 40 x 40 centimeter, which is about the size of a microwave, has a sleek futuristic design, and can fit on your kitchen counter with ease. Yes, it is heavy (weighing 20 kilograms) but it is extremely durable.
- Interactive settings screen – One can choose from the selection of different types and brands of flour, amount of oil that will go into the dough, and thickness of the flatbread. Additionally, settings are provided to choose the level of roasting and the number of rotis to be made in one batch.
What stands out for me in my experience as a Rotimatic user
Rotimatic has to be the most exciting and out of the box kitchen appliance I have ever used, all the more in the uniqueness of its concept. It is surprising that it took so long for someone to think up a device that could automate the preparation of a food as basic as a roti! Here are some of the observations I made of the performance of this automatic roti-maker. I’ll start with the pros:
- Super quick delivery – The device takes around 8 minutes to warm up before it makes the first roti. Subsequent ones are delivered in under two minutes.
- Good quality flatbread – The rotis it makes are soft, nutritious, and each one of them puffs right in front of your eyes.
- Consistent – Every roti in a batch is exactly the same in texture, thickness, level of roasting, and shape.
- Easy to maintain – Since it is IoT-enabled, malfunctions can be fixed remotely without having to haul it to a service station.
- Easy to clean – The removal parts are few and these can be washed or wiped cleaned, according to the sort of ingredients they come in contact with. Rotimatic comes with specialized brushes to make the process of cleaning hassle-free.
- The materials used are superior quality – To ensure the safety of each roti Rotimatic makes, all plastic materials in contact with food are safe and FDA compliant.
- Power-efficient – The power consumption of Rotimatic is about the same as a large microwave oven. Power consumption is 1.6kW – 1.8kW, the voltage for the USA, Canada model is 110V, and for the UK, Singapore model, 220V.
- Efficient customer care – I haven’t really faced any issue major enough for me to contact the customer care of the company, but I’ve heard from other users that their complaints were resolved in the soonest possible manner.
Cons would include:
- It’s a little noisy – Similar to that of a blender’s but goes on for a comparatively longer time.
- Pricier than other kitchen appliances – Well this isn’t a real surprise considering it’s a robot. In the long run, especially for daily users, $999 finds a good investment in Rotimatic.
- The app needs work – There is still some ground to cover before the app works as smoothly as it should.
A final look at Rotimatic
Rotimatic – now available in the US, Singapore, and Australia, among other countries – is a kitchen robot dedicated to giving you the best machine-made flatbreads. The method used is highly efficient and quick and does not compromise on the nutrition and freshness factors of the food made. Users can play around with flavors and colors of the rotis, recreate interesting recipes, and yet save enormous lengths of time while doing so.