Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
There's something undeniably comforting about the aroma of freshly baked pizza wafting through the kitchen. While ordering pizza is convenient, nothing quite compares to the joy of crafting your very own pizza masterpiece from scratch. At the heart of every exceptional homemade pizza lies the foundation - the perfect homemade pizza dough recipe.
In this article, we're going to dive into the world of pizza dough making, unveiling a tried-and-true recipe for homemade pizza dough that will have you creating delicious, restaurant-quality pies right in your own kitchen.
Whether you're a seasoned pizza enthusiast or a beginner looking to embark on a culinary adventure, mastering this fundamental pizza dough recipe is the first step toward crafting the pizza of your dreams. Get ready to roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and unlock the secrets to creating the perfect homemade pizza dough that will elevate your pizza nights to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Homemade Pizza Dough Ingredients
3 and 1/2 Cups (about 450g) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour Spoon and level 3 and cups of unbleached APF for the dough; remember to keep some more at hand to dust your hands and working surface.
- 1 and 1/3 Cups (320ml) Warm Water The temperature of your water should be between 100-110°F or 38-43°C to allow the yeast to flourish.
- 2 and ¼ Teaspoons (7g) Platinum Yeast from Red Star Instant Yeast - 1 standard packet of this brand is perfect for homemade pizza dough.
- 1 Tablespoon (13g) Granulated Sugar Sugar and olive oil help activate the yeast and strengthen the dough for your pizza.
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) Olive Oil Add this quantity of olive oil to your dough and keep some more at hand to grease your pan and brush on the dough before you add toppings
- 1 Teaspoon Salt Salt is essential to bring the necessary flavor to the dough. You can adjust the quantity to suit your taste, but 1 teaspoon is recommended.
- Sprinkle of Cornmeal – Cornmeal is perfect for dusting the pan before you plop your prepared pizza into the baking pan or stone.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe to Make Homemade Pizzas
Step 1 - Combine Ingredients – Combine the yeast and granulated sugar with the warm water in a large bowl. Stir gently with a spoon, cover and rest for five minutes until frothy.
Step 2- Make the Dough – Add flour slowly and mix the ingredients. You can combine a wooden spoon, spatula, or your hands. If you have a stand mixer, use your dough attachment to make the dough.
Step 3 - Knead Dough – Add olive oil and salt once the dry ingredients are combined with water. Continue to beat aton a medium speed. Once the dough forms a ball, lay it on a lightly dusted surface and knead with your hands for five minutes or until soft.
Step 4- Rise – Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil or baking spray and place your kneaded dough in the bowl. Coat the dough with oil as well. Cover the dough with cling film, aluminum foil, or a damp towel and allow it to rest and rise for 90 minutes or until double in size. If you live in a cold area, use your oven to create a warm environment for your dough to rise.
The next steps are to create scrumptious homemade pizzas from your delicious homemade pizza dough
Step 5- Punch & Shape – When the dough is doubled, punch it down to remove air bubbles. This quantity of dough makes two thin-crust pizzas. You can freeze half the dough if you are making only one pizza. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to shape the dough into a disc shape until it is 12 inches in diameter or ½ inch thick. After shaping the dough, cover it and let it rest for five to ten minutes before baking.
Step 6- Toppings – Poke the pizza crust with a fork to prevent any bubbling. Then, lightly brush the crust with olive oil before topping, as it will prevent the crust from becoming soggy. Spread a sauce of your choice. Then, add vegetables, meat, and cheese to make your pizza colorful and flavorful.
Step 7- Bake – There are many ways to bake a great pizza. You can use any of the following methods depending on the time and equipment available.
- Oven Method – Preheat the oven to 450° F or 246° C. Transfer the prepared pizza to the hot oven and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Pizza Oven Method – Add cornmeal and flour to a pizza peel. Unroll the shaped pizza dough onto the peel, then add toppings as desired. Follow the pizza oven instructions to cook the pizza.
- Air Fryer Method – When using an air fryer, you may need to shape the dough into smaller discs. Preheat the air fryer to maximum heat, place the prepared (untopped) pizza crusts in the air fryer and cook for one minute.Then flip the pizza crusts and cook again for one minute. Top the cooked crusts with desired toppings and cook at 375 for one to three minutes or until bubbly.
- Method – Preheat the grill to medium-high. Roll out the dough on parchment paper, spread olive oil on the top and place it on the grill with the oil side down. Peel off the parchment paper, cover the grill lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip the pizza on a plate and add the desired toppings. Reduce heat, slide the pizza back on the grill, and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
Homemade Pizza Recipe With Rotimatic
Step 1 - Switch on the Rotimatic and select the Pizza option from the menu.
Step 2 - Select the flour brand that you want to use for your pizza crust.
Step 3 - Mix two cups of whole wheat flour, one cup of all-purpose flour, and two teaspoons of yeast. Transfer this mixture to the flour container of the Rotimatic.
Step 4 - Fill the Rotimatic water container with water at room temperature and add one and a half teaspoons of salt.
Step 5 - Fill the oil container with vegetable oil or any other neutral-tasting oil.
Step 6 - Set the preferences as – Thickness 1 Oil 1, and turn off the roast setting. Then, set the number of pizzas as needed. Then tap play.
Step 7- Collect the prepared pizza bases and store them in a casserole lined with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Step 8 - Preheat the oven to 250° C, grease the baking tray with oil and put the pizza base on it.
Step 9 - Top the pizza bases with toppings of your choice and place the prepared pizzas in the hot oven. Bake for 4-6 minutes.
Types of Flour that Can be Used for Pizza Dough
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour has a low protein content, which makes it strong enough to bind while ensuring a soft and fluffy crust.
- Bread Flour – Bread flour results in a flavorful and chewy crust. It has the right amount of protein to ensure your pizza dough is flexible and tear-resistant.
- Whole Wheat Flour – The most nutritious choice for making a homemade pizza crust. It has several minerals, high protein, and fibre content to create a wholesome meal.
- Bajra Flour – This flour is made from pearl millet and is rich in nutrients. You can roast the bajra pizza base on a pan and do not need to bake it.
- Ragi Flour – Ragi flour can help make a delicious and nutritious pizza. Cook the base on a pan by flipping frequently to cook both sides evenly.
- Semolina Flour – Use semolina flour to make a crispy and chewy pizza crust high in gluten.
- Rye Flour – Rye flour retains its structure when cooked; it is best for cooking thin-crust pizza bases. It adds an earthy flavourflavor to your pizza, making it tastier.
- Cornmeal – Add one part cornmeal to your pizza dough to give it a crunchy texture and added flavourflavor. Cornmeal also prevents the dough from sticking to the baking pan.
- Almond Flour – Almond flour is a good gluten-free option for those who love pizza but wish to avoid gluten.
- Chickpea Flour – Chickpea flour is nutritious and good at holding structure when baked. Use chickpea flour to make a rich and flavorful pizza.
- Coconut Flour – Coconut flour is rich in fibre and a good gluten-free alternative to wheat flour for making a pizza base. It has an inherent sweetness that pairs well with sweet toppings like pineapple and bananas.
- Spelt Flour – Spelt is an ideal alternative to wheat flour for making pizzas. It is high in gluten content and holds its structure well when baked.
- Cake or Pastry Flour – Cake or pastry flour produces the best dough for baked goods and is also great for a pizza base.
- Quinoa Flour – Quinoa flour is rich in gluten and works well for pizza crust. Rich in protein and minerals, quinoa is a nutritious option for pizza baking.
- Oat Flour – Use rolled oats to make a delicious, low-gluten, and nutritious pizza crust. Add seasoning like salt, herbs and garlic to make a flavorful pizza.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make the dough ahead of time?Follow the recipe until step 3. Then, leave the dough in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours for a slow rise. If you need more time, use cold water to knead the dough to make the rise even slower and more flavorful. If the dough hasn't doubled at the end of the rest period, give it 30-40 minutes to rest at room temperature before starting to shape.
How do I freeze homemade pizza dough?Coat the risen dough with olive oil and store it in a Ziploc bag to freeze. You can freeze the risen dough for up to 3 months.
How do I thaw frozen pizza dough?The night before, you want to make pizzas from the frozen pizza dough, take it out of the freezer and keep it in the refrigerator for eight hours. Then, please remove it from the fridge and rest it at room temperature for thirty minutes before shaping and baking.
How long should pizza dough rise for?Allow the pizza to rest for at least ninety minutes before shaping and baking. Rest the dough in a warm, draft-free place for the proofing. Two pounds of pizza dough can make two large, four individual pizzas, two stromboli, or four calzones.
Is it okay to let pizza dough rise overnight?You can let the pizza dough rise overnight, but place it in the refrigerator to allow for a slow rise. Take it from the fridge twenty to thirty minutes before shaping and baking.
How long should pizza dough sit out before rolling?Allow your pizza dough to rest for at least thirty minutes before shaping and baking. The dough must come up to room temperature to allow the gluten in the flour to loosen and make it easier to shape.